What a weekend!

Okay, it’s been a few days since my last post. I missed Friday and Saturday’s posts. I’ve been traveling all weekend and have been super busy. I didn’t take notes since I wasn’t on my normal routine, so my blood sugars are coming from memory.

Two funerals, a birthday and a long run. This is how my weekend went…

I mentioned last week that my best friend’s dad passed away. Friday was his funeral and memorial. The funeral was at 10:30 in the morning and it was 3 1/2 hours away, so I got up at 4am to get my streak mile in before we left. I wasn’t sure of how the day was going to go, so I decided to get it out of the way early. We made it to the funeral and supported him and his family. I got to catch up with a lot of friends I haven’t seen in a while.

Later that afternoon there was a memorial in our home town for his dad. My friend spoke about his father and gave a beautiful, touching speech. After the memorial, we hung out at his house with his family and some friends reminiscing about his dad and old times.

On the drive to the funeral, we got a call from from Karebear’s mom saying Karebear’s aunt finally lost her battle with cancer. It was a very sad, but over all good day.

Saturday was Baby J’s birthday party with friends and family from home. We had a great party and J was super excited about everything. My dad also invited me to the Louisiana Tech football banquet. The Bulldogs had an NCAA record breaking season and received national attention because of it. I wanted to go and support the team and administration (even if we did have a bowl bid debacle. Ugh!). I ran a quick streak mile after the party and before the banquet.

The weather started changing from humid mid 70’s on Friday and Saturday to cold and rainy mid 30’s on Sunday. It started raining very early Sunday morning. I had a 16 mile long run on the calendar for the weekend, but the weather was not cooperating. There was a break in the rain around noon and I ate lunch and went out for my long run. We had the visitation for Karebear’s aunt Sunday evening and I didn’t have to get 16 miles in, so I set my Nike+ for 14.

Karebear ran the first 2 with me and I ventured out on my own after she went back. Around mile 5, I started feeling funny and I checked my sugar. It was super low at 37. Although it was cold, I was feeling very cold and shaky. I ate 2 GU gels and walked for another mile or so to let my sugar rise. It rose back up and I continued running. I was determined to get my long run in and didn’t want anything to stop me.

My sugar felt like it was getting low again, but I was almost to 13 miles. When I got to 13, I decided to go ahead and stop. It wasn’t 16 or even 14, but it was a good long run considering the set backs.

My legs felt surprisingly good and I even stood up for 2 hours after the run at the visitation. I remember when I was training for my first marathon and my legs would shake after my long runs. I am getting stronger as a runner.

The visitation was nice and got to spend some time with family members we don’t get to see often. After the visitation, we went and grabbed something to eat. I had a good meal and bolused for the carbs. I did not however take 2 units of insulin off my bolus like my doctor recommended. That came back to haunt me around 2am this morning. I woke up sweating and cold with another low blood sugar of 39. I drank some juice and got it up. Had a midnight snack to keep it up and went back to sleep.

I woke up this morning and felt better. The funeral for Karebear’s aunt was this afternoon. The forecast had rain/sleet all day and I did not want to get out there for my streak mile. I ate breakfast, did some work, ate lunch, packed the car and went to the funeral. After the funeral, we left to return back home. Once we got home, we unloaded the car and ate dinner. I jumped on the treadmill after dinner and got my mile in.

This weekend was sad, joyous, cold, wet, busy, and kind of relaxing all at the same time. I had fun visiting with friends and family at funerals and parties. I had a tough run, but came out of it stronger. What a weekend it was!

This entry was posted in Diabetes, Health & Fitness, Running and tagged , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s